Glencoe World History, read pages 34 to 43 and answer the questions on page 43.
1. Define city-sate, ziggurat, theocracy, empire, patriarchal, polytheistic, cuneiform
2. Identify Sumerians, Akkadians, Sargon, Hammurabi, Code of Hammurabi, The Epic of Gilgamesh.
3. Draw a Map and Locate Tigris River, Euphrates River, Mesopotamia, Fertile Crescent, Uruk, Babylon.
4. Explain what the Mesopotamians believed was the relationship between gods and mortals.
5. List the three general areas of Mesopotamia.
6. Explain Which type of government, separate city-states or an empire, would have been most advantageous to the people living in Mesopotamia?
7. Organizing Information Create a chart showing the achievements made by the Sumerians and list the effects on our lives today.
8. Examine the photograph of the Royal Standard on page 40 of your text. What facts about Mesopotamian life can you identify by studying the picture? How does the box reflect the values of the Sumerian civilization?
9. Writing Explain why Hammurabi’s code was a significant development. Write a law code for your community and explain how and why it is different and similar to Hammurabi’s.